How the Five Goals for a Fair Trade Town were met by Perez Zeledon, Costa Rica – October 2009
- Local council passes a resolution supporting Fairtrade, and agrees to serve Fairtrade products (for example, in meetings, offices and canteens).
In October 2009 the local Council passed a Resolution.
- A range of Fairtrade products are available locally
100% of all the coffee and sugar produced in Perez Zeledon is Fairtrade and they have FLO certification to sell Fairtrade coffee in Costa Rica.
- Schools, workplaces, places of worship and community organizations support Fairtrade and use Fairtrade products whenever possible
They work with schools and the 'leaders of the future program' involves more that 1,500 kids and young people.
- Media coverage and events raise awareness and understanding of Fairtrade across the community.
Every single event related to Fairtrade is covered by the Media in the community.
- A Fairtrade steering group representing different sectors is formed to co-ordinate action around the goals and develop them over the years.
There is a voluntary group of people in the community who are part of the co-ordination of Perez Zeledón as a Fairtrade Town.
Freizel Vargas Forestal Projects and Conservation.
Minor Corrales Agricultural Supply Store
Pedro Board of Director CoopeAgri
Gilbert Rámirez Fairtrade International Sales
Will Valverde Fairtrade Projects